Thursday, February 3, 2011

Alone for Dinner - A favorite salad

Tonight I found myself on my own for dinner and I swear my car drove itself to grab a few bits of this and that for the perfect salad.
I ate it before I could take a picture. So, sorry. But, so happy.

As I sat in pure dinner bliss my dog stared deeply in my eyes. I sent him back to his dinner. And then, my dear husband who didn't want dinner used his famous opening line, "whatcha got there?" The rest of the meal quickly became history.

Don't you just love a good salad!

The Un Deux Trois Salad
One head crisp romaine torn (or chopped!)
A couple of ounces of bleu cheese - tonight Stilton
One peeled and chopped Granny Smith
A couple of teaspoons of almonds (or walnuts)
A handful of shredded chicken (from last night's dinner)

Nora Ephron's Dijon Vinaigrette
Mix 2 tablespoons Grey Poupon mustard with 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar.
Whisking constantly,  add 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, until creamy.

Actually, I've been making it so long, I forgot about the red wine vinegar. I've always used organic apple cider vinegar. And Melissa D'Arabian shared a secret, that when making his vinaigrette, a Parisian cafe owner added a few drops of soy sauce as a secret ingredient. Here's that link.

You can always make it more complex, adding minced garlic, minced shallots, fresh herbs you love. I always return to the basic and enjoy it with champagne vinegar and even the subtlety of rice wine vinegar. Leave out the vinegar, add lemon juice and grate Parmesan. Variations and flavors are endless.

For my taste this simple recipe means I never have to buy a bottle of dressing.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so good. Did you make a dressing for it? Or just eat it as is?? Making my stomach growl.

    ReplyDelete