My darling friend had some extra Rainbow Chard on her hands and gave it too me. You may not feel the same way, but with all the color, it was feeling like Christmas!
I brought it into the kitchen thinking about a light dinner and before I knew it the chard was in a light wine sauce with some chicken Italian Sausage, pasta and a touch of Pecorino Reggiano.
Dinner was mild, light and easy on the eyes.
1 Clove Elephant Garlic - minced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Cup Chicken Stock
1/2 Cup white cooking wine or Vermouth
1 Teaspoon salt (or to taste)
5 Chicken Italian Sausages sliced
One bunch Rainbow Chard - cleaned, dried, stems cut in bite sized pieces and separated from the leaves, leaves cut or torn into pieces
2 Cups cooked pasta
1 Tablespoon Butter
Pecorino Reggiano Cheese or Parmesian
1) Pour Olive Oil into pan and heat on low.
2) Add minced Elephant Garlic (this is a very mild flavored garlic, almost in the onion to leek flavor group). Saute on low until translucent.
3) Add Chicken Stock, (or Broth) and wine and cook over a low simmer to reduce.
4) Add chopped chard stems and cook 5 minutes.
5) Add chopped chicken Italian Sausage and continue to cook on low for 10 minutes.
7) Add 1 Tablespoon butter and toss with about 2 cups of fresh, hot pasta. I used penne.
8) Plate and top with the Pecorino Reggianno.